A new highly sensitive CCD Raman instrument with a CW laser and a pulsed laser has just been installed for the total cost around 8200 kNOK. The use of this Raman instrument in biological sciences, with large wavelength excitation range 205 to 1020 nm, for obtaining specially resonances Raman is unique in the Nordic countries. At present no position or postdoctoral fellows is available for carrying out biological Raman experiments. We apply for two postdoctoral fellows and supply, they will mainly serve as general biological resonance Raman resource persons for all universities in Norway and SCANBALT and additionally start setting up new techniques like magnetic circular dichroism at UiO. In a synergistic protein function and structure investigation effort protein 3D structures will be examined by X-ray diffraction, in combination with high resolution optical, vibrational-Raman and paramagnetic spectroscopies with state-of-the-art functional and in vivo studies.
Some of the direct planned experiments are
- rRaman of several tyrosyl-radical from different sources ribonucleotide reductases p53R2 and other higher organism R2 protein; a novel Bacillus cereus R2 Also the oxygen to diferric centers charge transfer band will be investigated, as wells the holo- protein.
- Intermediate X (a Fe(IV)Fe(III)-oxygen state) in generation of the tyrosyl radical in ribonucleotide reductases, a novel relative stable X intermediate will be studied.
- Cytochrome cs and hemes with highly axial/anisotrop low spin (S=1/2) EP R signals will be studied in Met-Sulfur to Fe charge transfer transitions around 690-720 nm, as well as heme core modes.
-Intermediates in myoglobin and nitric oxide synthase reaction with peroxides and oxygen, and effect of redox state change induced by irradiation and start developing single protein crystal Raman
- Small ligand interactions with DNA /models
- Possibly mono-nuclear Fe proteins like AlkB and homologs as well as other mononuclear Fe protein