The aim of the Strategic Institute Programme (SIP) is to further develop SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture as a national and international research institute within the field of fisheries technology. The programme will emphasize the development of energy e fficient fishing vessels, increased work place safety, working conditions, and higher competitiveness in general. Also, the dynamics of technological development have some aggregated effects on the fleets' ability to become more sustainable, which will be the focus in extensive catch capacity analyses. SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture has the ambition to develop and adapt systems engineering as a methodological approach to enhance the technological perspective in sustainable fisheries management, and to i ncrease sustainability in the general design of fishing vessels. The programme can be summarized in the following main objectives:
- Improve present tools for development of more energy efficient design and operation of fishing vessels, with main emphasis on machinery and propulsion systems.
- Develop improvements in working operations, in the ergonomic work situations of the fishermen onboard, in the overall safety of the fishing vessels, and in deck arrangements.
- Analyze the technological adaptation s and the effect on the catch capacity and management regime.
- Develop and adapt systems engineering as methodology for technological fisheries research and fishing vessel design.
- Two doctorate studies are planned for the programme.
- Publication of ar ticles in international journals and other relevant fora.
SIP-FKD-SIP finansiert av Fiskeri- og Kystdepartementet