The overall objective of the eGo-ID project is to develop a thin flexible fingerprint swipe unit and algorithms which are suitable for SmartCard integration i.e. developing a secure form of biometric identification system to be integrated into future prod ucts for the Internet of Things (IoT). In short IDEX will develop next generation technologies for simple, safe and secure transactions, log-on and physical access control based on fingerprint recognition.
The project will play a pivotal role in the Euro pean eGo project funded by the EUREKA CATRENE program - project no: CA202 eGo. The eGo-ID project is a crucial component in the eGo-project in the development of smart biometric identification systems for future applications within the domain of the IoT. The idea of the eGo project is extremely simple and attractive to users - What you touch is yours. By the use of your finger you may access and open a secure personal communication channel with an object.
The eGo-ID project represents the development of the next generation of state-of-the art fingerprint sensor technology. I.e. the development and integration of software solutions as well as hardware solutions which enables the development of a wearable ultra thin flexible swipe solution.
In the course of the eGo-ID project the following R&D challenges will be addressed:
- Development of new algorithms to be integrated with SmartCard controllers
- Developing the unit to operate in a secure environment
- Electro-Magnetic Interference issues related to lo w-frequency intra-body (over-skin) communication, to be addressed through ASIC modifications and SW measures
- Integrating the extremely thin and flexible polymer substrate with a System-In-Package in a high volume manufacturing process
- Optimizing coati ng properties to achieve superb mechanical durability without sacrificing image quality