UNINETT Sigma2 is responsible for the procurement and operation of the national e-infrastructure for computer science in Norway offering services based on HPC and data storage systems for scientific data. The lifetime of such systems are 4-5 years due to the technical development and the cost of maintenance. The objective of this project is to replace some of these systems to ensure that we can continue to offer cost effective services which cover the users need both in functionality and capacity.
E-INFRA 2016 is phase two in the process of reducing the number of national HPC and storage infrastructures from four HPC machines located at each of the four oldest Norwegian universities to a data centric e-Infrastructure containing only two HPC machines and a georeplicated storage facility physically located at UiT and NTNU. Phase 1 consisted of procuring, installing and commissioning HPC machine number 1, FRAM located at UiT, and the georeplicated storage facility, NIRD (National Infrastructure for Research Data), located at UiT and NTNU.
The objective for this project is to complete this process by specifically:
1. Procuring, installing and commissioning HPC machine number 2 which will be located at NTNU
2. Expansion of existing infrastructure such as storage hardware, computing and service platform.
3. Acquire Sigma2 TSD (Services for sensitive data) services.
The overall scope of this project is to secure sufficient funding for investments in computing and storage resources for the national e-infrastructure for the period 2018 - 2019. The project represents phase 2 of the planned renewal and expansion of the national e-infrastructure which started with phase 1 in 2016 funded by the project "E-INFRA 2014 - a national e-infrastructure for science". The project will ensure that national research communities have access to state-of-the-art e-infrastructure for science. Main project deliveries are:
1. Implementation of phase 2 of the plan reducing the number of national HPC systems from four to two by replacing Abel (UiO) and Stallo (UiT) by a new system (called B1) located at NTNU
2. Expansion of the HPC machine installed in phase 1 (A1) in order to secure enough capacity until B1 is in production
3. Expansion of NIRD (National Infrastructure for Research Data) securing capacity in line with the growth in need for data storage
4. Renewal of the existing infrastructure for TSD (services for sensitive data) by replacing the dedicated service platform, data storage and HPC system