BRIGHT develops clean, affordable, and long-lasting solar energy products. BRIGHT's core market is the more than 1 billion people who still live with no access to electricity, either off-grid communities or with unreliable grid connections, mostly in Sub-Saharan Africa. BRIGHT´s solution has the potential to complement/replace grid access with a solar home system (SHS) through smart (micro)-financing options and the pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) payment scheme. Importantly, BRIGHT must partnership with local players so we strengthen the network and make the project fully feasible. BRIGHT addresses R&D challenges, when targeting: i) repairability/recyclability of products (to enhance the circular economy); ii) the productive use of energy; and iii) a higher product affordability. In a high level, the objectives planned to this project are clear:
1) Product development to achieve affordability while including optimized features that match needs/requirements of African communities (as heterogeneities among regions are common);
2) Enable the circular economy by acting upon the products end-of-life management and enhance modularity when linking the SHS to sight modules and/or removable batteries and energy systems for remote use.
3) Perform large demonstration activities in urban and/or rural communities to build trust and get the product validated.
4) Perform a life cycle analysis (LCA) to benchmark our solution against competing technologies;
5) Build close partnerships across the whole value chain in Kenya and neighbouring countries so we better align the product with real needs.
These activities will support the transformation of Africa’s economy and job creation while providing benefits for all consortium partners. The project will pave the way for other industry players, revolutionizing the energy access in Kenyan communities, a hub for East Africa and an economic forerunner in the region to later extend to the rest of sub-Saharan Africa.