Specific research objectives within the frames of the proposed KMB project are related to developing process technology enabling new improved methods for hydrogen production, encompassing the following fields:
- Selective oxidation of methane t o hydrogen (CPO)
- Membrane steam reforming of methane (MR)
- Chemical looping technology
In addition, improved methods for air separation like low temperature O2 adsorption PSA, will be investigated.
Potential gains and advantages ar e large regarding efficiency (energy, raw material use, utilities, thus minimizing CO2 emmisions) and the capital demand relative to conventional methods (SMR and cryogenic air separation). It is also relevant that the membrane reforming (MR) and chemical looping concepts have the inherent potential of integrated CO2 separation.
Major R&D challenges are related to engineering of the desired properties of key functional materials:
- Heterogeneous catalysts
- Micro-porous membranes
- oxygen carriers
- O2 adsorbents
Application of the project results can be envisaged as follows:
- Education of personell at Ph.D. level (recruitement to industry)
- Ensure that research groups a nd educational activities are at front regarding
competence on hydrogen technology and future energy systems.
- Ensure that norwegian research groups become attractive partner in international
- The multidisciplinary knowledge base will contribute to development of new
economically sound technological solutions and innovations of importance for a
future energy system with a stronger emphasis on hy drogen.
- Provide added value of the Norwegian natural gas in the future