The "Shilov system" of aqueous Pt salts is capable of reacting with aliphatic and aromatic C-H bonds leading to value-added chemicals from cheap hydrocarbons. The first step in the Shilov system is the reaction of a Pt metal center with the C-H bond to pr ovide a Pt-C bond and a proton.
- This project focuses on the essential proton transfer reaction to and from the metal.
- Kinetic and mechanistic investigation on the nature of proton transfer reactions at Pt centers
- Kinetic and mechanistic investigatio n of proton migration between hydride, alkyl, and aryl groups that are bonded at the metal.
- State-of-the art multinuclear NMR and stopped-flow kinetic methods will be used.
- Fast kinetics will be investigated with the facilities of a collaborating grou p in Germany.